Old name, new product

Hello everyone! :wave: I want to talk about Fiebing’s. The Fiebing’s brand has been around for a long time and I use a few of there products. They are second to none when it come to die; top notch in my opinion. it’s true that I experiment with other brands to compare price and quality however, it seems. I always come back when a new product is introduced in the line. Fiebing’s has introduced a new edge paint; Dura Edge. I have seen several pieces finished with Dura Edge and it looks good, good enough to try it for myself. I bought an 8 oz. bottle of black and brown to sample. I will keep you posted on how it works and give you my take on the outcome. The only camera is on my phone, so bare with me :slight_smile: Bye for now! :wave:

1 Like

Hello everyone! :wave: I have had a chance to work with these products and I have a pic. of the first edge dyeing with the Brown.

This was a piece of veg, tan that was not sanded or prepared in any way as I follow the label directions. " Fiebing’s Dura Edge is a flexible and highly durable finish that will result in a professional edge every time. No need for burnishing, buffing, or other labor intensive processes to get the edge you always desired. Dries bright and will not rub off." The directions do say to shake well before using.
There is a dauber on the lid that I did not use. I chose to use Tandy’s Craftool Pro edge applicator. ( I use this always on my projects w/ Fiebing’s Edge Kote )
Right away I found it rather thin when applying and did not cover as well. After it dried the coverage was better than I expected. the dye flowed out as it was drying. I like the darker color and it dried very hard.
It did not dry smooth Like I expected because it was so thin and as for prepping the edge, it should have been sanded. As I go forward I will update you further. Thanks for reading my article! :upside_down_face: Bye for now :wave:

Hey, thanks for sharing these. I would agree the Fiebing’s are my primary, and mostly only, go-to for dyes. Always reliable with good, consistent results.

Interesting how this came out - from an initial look, it is nice, though when zooming in I can see some of the texture from the leather underneath showing through, just as you mention the coating is rather thin.

Even applying multiple layers might make it too think, if it needs to be thick enough to cover and even out the unifinished edge. Maybe, as you mention, it would result better if the edge was finished (even though the instructions mention not to).

I would have suspected a better-performing product from them. As it’s first test, this is interesting to see and helpful to know! Nice one

Hello Dan! :wave: your welcome :upside_down_face: I have new info. to share. I’m waiting on a few things to come from Amazon so I can further the edging finishing process.

I’ll stay tuned! :slight_smile: It’s fun to see the progression of things, along with the learnings

Thanks Dan! More to come. :upside_down_face:

I have only been using Fiebing’s Pro Dyes but they have such a limited number of color options that I recently started purchasing Angelus dyes. I am looking forward to experimenting with Angelus. I have used their leather paints in the past and had a lot of success with them.

I recently watched Parker from Stock & Barrel interview Shane Smith, owner of Smith’s Leather Balm. After watching the interview, I bought a tin of Smith’s. I want to do a side-by-side comparison between Fiebing’s and Smith’s.

I hadn’t heard of Smiths before. From a little looking, it’s nice it’s handmade in Maine here in the USA. I’d be curious to hear how it goes!

J, I would like to see your comparison! Please post :slightly_smiling_face: Bye for now! :wave:

Any updates?? Am curious. I have tried several different edge finishing products and techniques. My favorite because its is so versatile it tokonole.

In God’s Grace,

Pastor Bob

“While we were yet sinners, Christ died for us” - Romans 5:8

Bob, for finishing edges, Tokonole is my go-to as well. I like to wet the edge with water, slick the fibers with a Dremel set on low speed, dye the edge with pro dye, and seal it with Tokonole. The edge is not shiny but it looks like one piece of leather.

I will break out a couple pieces of scrap tomorrow, do the comparison, and post photos.

I’ve just started using Tokonole moer recently - before that it was mainly water, and sometimes wax. The Tokonole is so smooth and easy, kind of magical.

Comparison complete with photos to share. I used 3 pieces of leather from the same hide. They are cutoffs of a project I was working on. I figured that would be the fairest way to compare the 3 products.I was going to originally just compare Fiebing’s Leather Balm with Smith’s Leather Balm. At the last second, I decided to throw Fiebing’s Aussie Conditioner into the lineup as well.

I was really expecting some differences in the results but they all look the same. Photo #2 shows all 3 pieces without being treated. I wanted a base photo. The next 3 photos show each individual piece after it was treated. The last image is the 3 pieces in mixed order.

I thought it would be best if they were viewed with natural sunlight on them.

You’re right…no real difference I can see. What about gum tragacanth?

I have never used Gum Trag. Are you talking about how it compares to the conditioners here or just using G.T. in general?

I use it for slicking edges just like i do tokonole. I started using tokonole on exotics, and non-veg tan leather to slick edges, while i used GC on veg tan. But since, I now use tokonole for about everything.

In God’s Grace,

Pastor Bob

“While we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.” - Romans 5:8

Have you ever tried Lexol, or pefer the integrated wax as part of the conditioners?

No, I have never heard of Lexol. I like using conditioners that incorporate wax as an ingredient. All three of those products I compared above have a wax ingredient. I think it is important to moisturize the leather with lanolins that are absorbed into the hide while also protecting the surface of the leather with a wax component.

Cool, that can definitely be helpful, and have add some protection/moisture resistance.

Lexol is a relatively gentle conditioner, good for most leathers.