Oil leather dye transfer

Hi, I’m new here and also new to leather, at least oiled dyed leather. I got som leather with red, blue and black dyed. It looks good and a bit softer than the natural veg tan that I am used to. The problem is that the dye easily transfer fram the leather to wet paper og a swab when I test it. Any suggestions how to seal this? I tried pro resist and super sheen, but the texture looks weird and gets to shiny. And also scratches etc looks terrible when the finish is so shiny.

Hello and welcome! :wave:

Dyed leather can be tricky sometimes, and in large part depends on the tanner and process they’ve used.

Since you’ve already tried a couple Fiebings products, this suggestion might be similar enough to dismiss, though their Resolene might be an option, and can sometimes be watered down to reduce the shine/gloss of the finish.

Their Leather Balm with atom wax might produce a more matte finish than the others, while providing some layer of protection that can help reduce color transfer.

Maybe some other folks have experience they can share. There is usually some way to figure it out/get it done well

1 Like

Dyed leather is an attractive and stylish way to add color to your look. It’s perfect for making a statement with your wardrobe. It has a unique finish that stands out from other types of leather, and it’s available in a variety of colors so you can mix and match to create the perfect look. With dyed leather, you can easily express your individual style without having to worry about damaging or fading the material.

Welcome to the forum! With most dyes, especially oil (really alcohol) based, the pigments are actually suspended in the solution. When the dye dries, there will be some pigment on the surface of the leather. Most of the time, one can simply buff the leather really well with an old cotton t-shirt and remove a lot of the extra pigment, at least enough where it won’t stain other items it comes into contact with. Once you have buffed it well, you can also apply a waterproof coating or rub it down with a bit of neatsfoot oil in order to remove any residual pigment. Hope this helps.

In God’s Grace,

Pastor Bob

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll try that.