New guy in town

Good morning. I’m Layne. New guy here. I’m just getting into leather work. Picked up some veg tan/basic tools from Tandy, here in Philly, PA.

I’ve been a paramedic for the better part of 26 years, 5 of those were an Army medic.

I dabbled in blacksmithing, loved it, my mentor became ill and had to side line.

I have an unhealthy addiction to leather (LOL), love how things are made. I suppose, me, getting into leather work serves multi function, including, healing from past trauma/PTS and, hopefully, as I become proficient, make a side hustle, maybe, even an out from EMS, eventually.

Anyhow, that’s my story. I’m happily married to my best friend/soul mate, she’s on board with me doing this.

Hope this all finds you guys and girls well. Be safe, cheers all.

Layne
Firemedic154@yahoo.com

Welcome to the club and thank you for your service. What are you planning for your first project? Make sure to share pics.

I recently picked up some Al Stohlman books that just blew me away on the info contained that i haven’t found through watching YouTube videos. The books were volumes 1-3 on case making. Something to consider.

Good luck on your journey!

In God’s Grace,

Pastor Bob

“While we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.” Romans 5:8

Thank you Pastor Bob! I plan on trying wallets. I picked up a few acrylic templates to try out.

Thanks for the welcome!

Layne

Hey Layne,

Welcome to our merry band of crafters - glad to have you amongst us. And shoutout to Philly :), maybe one day we’ll grow to have enough folks for local leather meetups.

Blacksmithing sounds incredible, definitely something (among so many things) I have been curious about and interested in trying. Similar to leather crafting, making something with the hands seems so enjoyable, especially something that is as strong and durable and functional as metal work.

Leather is catchy - trying more tools, trying leather types, finding one we like, then getting a bit of each and suddenly we have a closet full. Glad your wife is on board that will likely make sharing in the fun of the craft that much easier.

Glad you’re here!

Dan

1 Like

Thanks Dan. Much obliged!
Layne