Leather Working Shoe Hammer

Leather working shoe hammers are used often for hammering over stitching, tapping through sharp folds, and securing glued leather pieces together. They feature a wide, heavy steel head that produces a deep, steady impact. Used frequently in shoemaking work, they are also a popular choice for those working in saddlery, luggage making, or making bags.

1 Like

My great grandfathers shoe hammer. He was a Ukrainian Jew that survived the purges in Eastern Europe, only to be caught and interned in Auschwitz-Berkinau. He was selected to “live”, forced labor as cobbler.

Survived, immigrated to Philly, PA, eventually opened small cobbler shop in Kensington section of Philly, this was his hammer, my pop gave it to me.

1 Like

What a keepsake to be treasured. What a story to go with it. Glad he made it out.

1 Like

When we talk about history and heritage, that single tool embodies so much. What it represents, what it’s helped accomplish, and even just as an example of a vintage tool. That’s incredible, and so very special. Thank you for sharing that with us.

It also looks like it’s continuing to help make some great pieces. Hope the projects are going well!

1 Like

Thanks brother. Been busy at work (paramedic). Just made a wallet for my pop, belated fathers day gift. Card wrap, came out better than first, needs work but I know the mistakes, he still loves it.

I wrapped it in brown paper with a hand written note.

Nothin’ like making projects for the family. Always neat to see the look on their faces when presented with a handmade item.

The rivet is a really nice touch. I like how handcrafted goods each have a bit of character, and the “mistakes” give them a bit of a human touch.

It’s also great over time to see how we improve and each piece gets just a bit more refined.

1 Like

The paper is a great touch, very thoughtful gift. Glad he loves it

1 Like