Have a favorite type of leather to work with?

There are so many types and finishes out there. For me, it’s usually veg tan leather. The thickness really allows for some muscle involved in the crafting. And, it’s strong, so the finished good or item is usually durable.

Also, with untreated veg tan leather, over time normal everyday use will help give it a nice patina, so it gets better with age. I’m a big fan, and for now, it’s my favorite.

1 Like

Yes Dan. I agree with you. There are many types of leather out there! It seems to me every time I turn around new types of coming out which means different techniques for dying and finishing. Lately, apart from using veg tan, I have looked at and used different tans. The different tans give me more of a variety for different project. I guess the best part would be texture. I am able to finish a project and not have to dye; color and finish is already there. Pull up leather is awesome! It gives a look of rustic or old world. I recycle a lot of leather and in blends vary well with my work; pouches and bags. I’ve built a few pipe and cigar pouches and I like the look of it. I do very little tooling unless it is a commissioned piece. I depend on the look of the leather. When I get my camera up and running I’ll post some pics to show everyone what I’m talking about. Thanks for reading my post. By for now :smile:

I’m excited about your endorsement of Pull Up leather - I haven’t used that much, though like the qualities of it having a little bit of a different look/feel, as well as not needing to dye.

Early on I thought the dye process was fun, though the more I’ve done it the more I appreciate being able to focus more on designing and making, than dyeing. So anything to help make that easier :smile:

Though, veg tan has such a stiffness (before conditioning) that tools can cut through it so smoothly and predictably that it is really enjoyable. I have to get some more time in with softer leathers and develop further there.

Even some textured leathers (like saffiano) might be fun to do a few projects with.

Definitely Veg Tan for me as well. Although I would like to specify and say Hermann Oak veg tan, not just any old run of the mill veg tan. There is a huge difference, especially when dyeing or tooling the leather.

In God’s Grace,

Pastor Bob

“While we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.” - Romans 5:8

Hello Pastor Bob :wave: I do agree with you. For so long I have used Tandy for my leather goods and worked real hard at perfecting my leathercraft skills and have gotten real good! I have many years in this craft however, I have purchased more expensive leathers and couldn’t believe the difference OMG! The cutting out of patterns, the casing of leather, the tooling of leather, the dying of leather. Everything has changed for me. I do think however, the struggles I have had with the cheaper leather and with the solving of my issues, because of that, has made me a better craftsman. With that said, I am a better craftsman and can work with the choice leathers with better results. If you don’t know bad, go there, and see what bad is. It will be an unbelievable experience and then you will have no problem paying the money! Bye for now! :wave:

I have found that I really enjoy chrome and oil tans. Oil tans have recently become my favorite leather for working with. They cut very easily. I find that I can glue 2,3 even 4 layers of oil tans together and then punch a stitching iron through them without needing a CAT excavator and a crew of workers to extract it as I do with a veg tan.

I haven’t tried oil tan. I will need to give it a try. Could it be used for holsters? Or is it too soft

Too soft for holsters. Oil Tan cannot be wet formed and the fact that Oil Tan leather starts by going through a chrome tan process, you may not want chrome tan leather resting against the metal of your gun. As I understand it, there is something about the chrome tan process that corrodes or oxidizes metals. I would however, consider making a veg tan holster then gluing an oil tan to the outside before stitching it all together. Actually, I’m really curious how that would look.

1 Like

I could try that as an experiment. What happens when the oil tanned leather gets wet? I would use the oil tanned as the exterior but would wet mold it after the oil tanned as been attached to the veg tan. I have one holster I am finishing up now, and another (with exotic inlay partially done), then I could start fiddling…unless another order comes in.

In God’s Grace,

Pastor Bob

That would be cool to experiment with - get’s me thinking about layering leathers in general for some projects, somethign I hadn’t really considered much before. Thanks for the expansion of knowledge! :slight_smile:

I’m not entirely sure how that would work since oil tan leather reacts differently to water than veg tan does. You may need to wet mold the veg tan first, then when it has dried, rough the surface and glue the thin oil tan to it before stitching it all together.

Then again, this is all theory at this point.

On those pieces I wet form, I have them sewn up and dyed…pretty much finished and the last step is wet molding. Hmmm…don’t know if it would work then.

@Dan-Crafter All of my holsters are multi layer thicknesses so there is no contact of the firearm with the flesh side.

In God’s Grace,

Bob George

1 Like

I’m looking forward to seeing a wet-moulded veg tan interior with an oil tan overlay. I’m willing to bet it will be as functional as it will be beautiful.

Could you all please suggest a kind of leather, and maybe also a supplier for a small furniture project? I’m thinking of something in a cognac color, ~ 1.5mm thick.

This is to recover my desk chair. Which is this weird-O, yet excellent for the back, seat (see stock image below). It’s a tricorn shape which swivels, raises/lowers and has locking casters so it doesn’t roll. I love it.

But the PLEATHER (Naugahyde if you will) is wearing out. It seems easy to recover by removing a bottom plate, stretching & stapling the leather to the seat-form (as w the pleather) and replacing the plate.

I’m a bit bewildered by the choices on etsy, and I’ll be grateful for advice.

Thanks!!

humanscale_pony_stool_for_office

^I forgot to mention size. I’ll need a piece ~ 22" square.

Try Springfield Leather in Springfield MO. They ship and have lots of choices. Call them up. They will be happy to help you find the best choice.

Thanks, Pastor Bob! I didn’t know about Springfield leather. So just before your message came in I purchased a piece of brown pebble grain from : Be loved. Be lovely. belovedlives.com by BelovedLives on Etsy who kindly offered to cut a custom size.

However, I have two of the same seats to cover. So I’ll take your advice on SL for the next one for comparisons.

Cheers!
Rodger

1 Like