Edge Bevelers - What brand do you use?

When I first started in leather crafting, I found an old tool in my tool box. At the time I had no idea what it was. I later found out it was an edge beveler (and used it on every edge of every project). I later learned it was a huge (i think #4) beveler and that there were many different sizes. I quickly looked on Amazon and found a cheap set. And they were cheap. I went ahead and bit the bullet and bought the more expensive ones from Weaver Leather and WOW, are they much better. Of course, stropping frequently helps keep them nice and sharp,

At this point, I don’t plan on upgrading them, but has anyone used Weaver bevelers and then found some that worked markedly better?

In God’s Grace,

Pastor Bob

“While we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.” - Romans 5:8

I had gotten a random brand on Amazon (CrazyEve - not sure they even sell them anymore). It looked better and was priced higher than the most basic ones, and worked really well (it seemed) for having nothing to compare it to expect what one might expect a decent tool to feel/work like.

I got a Tandy one next, and it wasn’t as good as the CrazyEve. Maybe I needed to sharpen the Tandy one, so can’t count it totally out.

Haven’t tried Weaver yet, and would love to one day try a Bruce Johnson edger.

My first beveler was a cheap no-name tool that was dull when it arrived. In time I later bought a Master Tools #2 Beveler that I have used for about a year now. Just recently I bought the two smallest Owden Professional Edge Bevelers from Amazon. They are right in the $25-$30 range so in time I will get the rest of the set.

I like the Master Tools beveler on thin veg tan. The Owden bevelers seem to be better suited when it comes to the chrome tan edges.

Interesting…I have never edged chrome tan. I just use tokonole on it to smooth it down. Do you have any pics of edged chrome tan. Would love to see it. Thanks.

In God’s Grace,

Bob George

“While we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.” - Romans 5:8

I will find a piece and get a photo of it.

Ok, photos are here. This is 2 pieces of Chrome tan Water Buffalo from Weaver. I glued them together last night and left them to dry under a bit of weight to get the best bond (pic 1). This afternoon I trimmed the long edges to get the most flush surface (pic 2). I beveled the edges, one with each of my beveling tools (pic 3). I then slicked the leather with Tokonole and let it dry (pic 4). The icing on the cake was the Black Pro Dye I put on the edge (pics 5 & 6).

1 Like

Cool and interesting texture on the water buffalo. And I really like the hand wrap for the rotary cutter :slight_smile:

Is the water buffalo leather stiff, or have some flex after gluing the two together?

It’s interesting. The water buffalo seems to be a stiffer leather than any other chrome tan I have worked with. Glued together, allowed to set and cure overnight under some weight, it feels like a solid 8-9 oz veg tan for stiffness. This stuff would probably work great as a belt as long as there is a strip of nylon webbing glued between the two straps.

That’s nice to have an option that can fit those needs in between those two somewhat extremes of the hard veg tan and the very flexible chrome tan pieces.